An audit of rooftop solar panels have found at least a fifth were unsafe, sparking warnings about potential deaths.
The national audit of the Renewable Energy Target has revealed that between 21 and 26 per cent of small-scale rooftop solar installations inspected every year since 2011 had been found to have faulty wiring and unsecured panels. Some posed a “severe risk” where wiring was exposed. This required units to be shut down immediately and re-mediated.
The report said 80 per cent of “unsafe” installations were due to water getting into direct current isolator enclosures on rooftops, which created an electrical safety risk. Unsafe installations, defined as carrying a “severe risk”, also included exposed live wiring and rooftop panels not being secure.
Moral of the story: buy well, don’t buy cheap! If you have any concerns about your solar system, make sure to contact PAE. Our experts will come and do a full inspection in order to make it safe for you if necessary.
10% discount on all maintenance services!
(offer available until 28/02/2019)
- When was the last time you checked your solar system? Is it still working as it should be?
- We know solar is a huge investment, but are you getting the promised returns?
- Solar systems need safety checks and maintenance.
Start off the year the right way with FOS Energy – What we can do:
- check all the wiring on your solar system and make sure everything is ok
- do a full cleaning of the solar PV panels
- provide a written status report and manage any warranty issues
- ensure your system is safe, compliant and generating the energy it should
Your inspection will be carried out by an Accredited Western Power and Clean Energy Regulator Inspector from FOS Energy.